Monday 6 April 2015

60 Days Until Trip - Day 99 of Training / Diet

I was asked by a few people where was my blog gone as I've not really been on line and my blog was one of those things to go.
The reason I have being off line and it's a subject I'm not afraid to talk about but an issue misunderstood by many. Some of my friends know, some may know and other may have guessed but for the last 11 years I have suffered on and off I have suffered with depression, and unfortunately for the last few months I was consumed by it again, so everything went by the wayside. Mental health issues are a taboo subject to some and then there are those who tell me "cop the F$%& on" or " just get over it we all have bad days".

If only it was that simple..................
I have a heart condition but no one would say that to me in relation to my heart, so why do it when it concerns my mind. Mental issues, no matter what you have, are real.

I'm a very social person and love being around people and thrive off it but when I get depressed I'm the complete opposite. It takes time to get right and medication and exercise are a help,,,,but time is what counts,.

So just because I have been avoiding you, it's nothing personal, I just find it hard being near people and large groups terrify me.

That being said I have being getting better and today I returned to my club for our usual Bank Holiday spin to Hook Head in Wexford which is a great location. Initially I had an anxiety attack but with support of friends I went on spin and within a few k's I was feeling great....mentally that is, I was on a dam hill so physically I wasn't :p

When we reached the Hook I kept to a few outside while the main group was inside having coffee and that way I met people gradually and I relaxed even more. In general I'm coming back to myself and am delighted I forced myself out with club and next Sat I'll return to our regular spins. 
So if you know someone with mental health problems, they're not MAD or a LOONY they're just going through a rough patch and just be there for them. If you can't manage or understand that's no bother too. They'll come right but it takes time and it's good to talk....BUT only when they feel up to it. 

These are my views only so if you feel like criticising please don't as I can do that myself too easy so don't need any help there.

BE kind...you don't know how people are suffering on the inside.

Back to normal broadcast tomorrow :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment